Tuesday, January 08, 2013

The Land of the Living

I'm going to end this post with the content relevant to the post title, but I thought I'd start with an update about Serpent's Tongue.  We're really coming into the last phase of the project, and part of it is ensuring we have the absolute highest resolution images from our artists possible.

To this end, I built a feature into the tool tonight that lets our admin folks update the art pieces in-place in the Flare Card Network (FCN).  This may not sound like a huge deal, but updating the art also means:

- Updating 3 different sizes of static thumbnails
- Updating an unknown number of cards USING that art piece
- Potentially updating other meta-data at the same time (art name, artist name, etc)

So, it was a bit of a task, but it SHOULD help us facilitate a much faster export process into InDesign.

Additionally, I discovered that as a part of Wordpress's Plugin Install process (Which I have to use instead of the update process since I don't have the FCN on Wordpresses official SVN system), I CAN run ALTER statements for my tables.  Just leaving myself a little note here :)

I also did a number of very late fixes and updates for Nintendo while home sick.  Sick, ah yes, the post title. I think I'll just give you this; it's the email I sent to my boss this morning.  Enjoy.


I'll spare ya'll the details, but I feel I should recap.

Thursday morning, coworker dropped off toddler daughter for Lis to watch like normal.  I was still feeling achy, stuffy, and all around poor. 

Thursday afternoon, I visited the doctor, who thought that I had a sinus infection that I've been fighting (and consistently losing against) for the last few weeks.  He prescribed antibiotics, which I began Thursday evening.

Friday I stayed home, being aware now that I was contagious with the Sinus Infection From Hell.  Sometime during the day we received a call from coworker letting us know that their daughter likely had the stomach flu.

Friday night around 3am I was the 2nd sickest I've ever been in my life, beaten only by the food poisoning I had when I was 16 which legitimately almost killed me.  Through a combination of the stomach flu, side-effects from the antibiotics and ongoing sinus infection compounded by my acid reflux, I had about an hour (apprx. 10 minutes real time) where I thought I was bound for either the ER or the grave. Thank you to whomever invented the Nurse Line, however, as they were able to give Lis advice and signs to watch for, none of which appeared, so an ER trip was avoided.  Also, the antibiotics were ceased until the stomach flu decided to vacate.

SO, I'm home today.  I'm actually feeling quite a bit better, but I know I'm carrying at least 2 diseases which would not be enjoyable to anyone.  I'm going to re-start the antibiotics tonight, so tomorrow I should back in and at least not spreading the Black Plague, as it's now known in the house.

Sorry for the delays and lack of communication about my status; as I can actually look at a glowing screen today without getting dizzy, I'm going to be playing catch-up with my emails and working on whatever I can while draining Gatorade and devouring soup-based food :)

No comments: